Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review: Hannah Georgas - This Is Good

Okay, Hannah Georgas knows what she's talking about- but she's hoping you don't just take her word on it - she wants you to dare her to be wrong! At least thats how I took it.  After a title like that I had to see for myself and I agree - the girl is good! How good you ask? She reminds me of Feist and Regina Spektor- two artist I simply adore, with a little raw attitude  thrown in for authenticity.

My introduction to her music is the opening track  Chit Chat which is a fun steady paced song followed by a slower paced Lovesick, but what  got my attention was Dance Floor - the beginning is electric and punchy going into the chorus where she sings with a raw matter of fact quality "Come on the dance floor ... lets get down ... good time - thats what I'm here for a good time ..." and  then once shes had enough of that- its over. Next track!

In contrast, The Deep End, is a slower paced relaxed folky pop vibe that most anyone would find agreeable.  Shine is also one of my favorites on the album - its a slow, emotional song thats soft and dreamy with almost a Sarah Mclachlan quality - yeah, I said that! wow!
Overall  the album is a must listen to for indie pop fans. Hannah's music will have you tapping your foot one minute and chuckling to yourself on others - her song Bang Bang Your Dead is one such track!

What draws fans to Hannah's music?
Other than her obvious knack at being a skilled songwriter, it is her sincerity (we the listener) identify with her music. That is what makes her music relevant and whether she becomes the next big thing or sits low key with a  more local following- her music is solid. She is another brilliant example of finding passion in what you do and "doing what you love" - it is working for her plus we get to reap the benefits of such talent! I do hope she tours the US- as of now she's playing her native Canada and has been to New York a couple times, but if she takes off like I just know she will, then we should get to see her live in the near future- fingers crossed!


              Share







No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?