Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lana Del Rey . Born To Die LP

What's your flava? Tell me what's what's your flava? No, its not Craig David who's lyrics I just borrowed, although he probably wishes he was getting this much hype these days! It seems the "flava" of the month  is  25 year old  sexy songstress Lana Del Rey.. who's ship is really about to sail in now that  SNL has announced she will be the musical guest January 14, two weeks before her LP Born to Die is released. An impressive gig for any musical act but especially gallant for Ms. Del Rey seeing how she merely has three songs released. Well done my dear!
So we indie fans have known about the sultry Lana Del Rey for a year now and from what I have found most people love her, but naturally there are a haters out there- I however, am not one of them. She's got a sensual sound ready for the bedroom and a look to match (shamelessly flirting with the camera) so its no wonder her mainstream appeal is rapidly growing. The video for Video Games (wonder how many times I can work video in this sentence?) has a nostalgic vibe that highlights youth and the glamorous lifestyle of being young and famous. In an interview she gave about the making of the video she talked about filming at the swanky Chateau Marmot in California because it had the "old Hollywood" glamour surrounded by lush palm trees and she wanted to showcase the feelings of living in the moment-which is the epitome of young 20 somethings.  The lyrics are solid, and anyone who's  ever been in love (or in lust for that matter) can readily feel the urgent desire she expresses for her partner in the chorus:

It's you It's you, it's all for you/ Everything I do/I tell you all the time/Heaven is a place on earth with you/Tell me all the things you want to do/I know that you like the bad girls/Honey, Is that true/It's better than I ever even knew/They say that the world was built for two/Only worth living if somebody is loving you/Baby now you do
 Did I mention the pouty look she wears on her face through out the entire video? Yes, it is her her "look" but it's quite effective in making the video that much more sensual- she plays the bad girl well. All the guys want to date her and the girls want to hate her- she is beautiful, talented and going places.


Born to Die, a follow up to Video Games, the relationship is still fast and furious but it seems as if she knows the relationship is not heading anywhere meaningful (shocking!) and she just wants savor the last drug infused love fest before it is off to the next doomed relationship.

Don't make me sad/Don't make me cry/Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough/I don't know why/Lets go get high/The road is long we carry on/Try to have fun in the meantime/
.. Cause you and I, we were born to die.

Born to Die is melancholy broodiness at its finest, and despite the depressive nature I presently have it on replay- it's like  musical crack- cant get enough of her music!  The coming year is looking quite promising for the pouty princess and I predict we'll see her star steadily shine making Lana Del Rey a "flava" here to stay for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?